Friday, May 18, 2012

Finally a Finished Object Friday!!

I'm still carrying on with the crocheted cushion cover from Wednesday. I have realised that I have almost finished it and if I take it with me to knitting tomorrow, it should be done so I may as well carry on...you can never have too many cushions, right?

I can't believe that I am posting this as a finished object though!  Remember way back when I decided it would be a good idea to make myself a shawl to wear to my little brothers wedding then the shawl ended up too small and I had a little sulk for a while before spending weeks trying to find the perfect yarn to make a bigger one.

In a rather fortuitous turn of events, I was on Facebook one night and saw that Vonnie at The Life Craft was selling some Artesano Aran in *just* the colour that matched my dress so I bought it and started knitting but the fabric it created was too dense and it still wasn't big enough so I sat and pulled the whole thing down, to the despair of a few knitters at the birthday party at A Good Yarn.

With less than a week until the big day, I cast on the third attempt in  larger (still!) needles and within a few days it was finished. I blocked it but on the Thursday (two days before the wedding) it was still wet so I set the hair drier on it and it wasn't until less than 24hr before the wedding that I tried the shawl on.

I wasn't convinced and was worried that I would look like an old granny but I took it with me, as well as the beautiful Nicholas and Felice shawl pin that I had bought from the lovely Yarn Addict Anni who sent it to me super-fast because I had forgotten that I would need a pin until two days before the wedding.

We had a fab day at the wedding and in my slightly drunk state, I thrust my camera into Katie's hand and asked her to take photos of my finished object.....

 

...and for the cheesy smile shot....


The shawl is fab.It is actually a bit big now, ironically, but never mind. I think this must be the first 'garment' I have made for myself.  If you want knitty details, they are here on Ravelry.

I'm going over to Tami Ami's blog now to look at more finished objects. It might inpsire me to finish some thing! 


7 comments:

knittynew said...

It looks perfect Nic, worth all the effort x

Sam Findlay said...

Great photos Nic, lovely shawl!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Looks great - not at all grandmotherly! And I'm all for slightly tipsy shots; they're usually less formal and more fun! Hope the wedding was fun and memorable!

Truly Myrtle said...

Gorgeous! And the pin is beautiful!

Tracy said...

That's s great picture you look so happy and you should be mighty proud, that shawl is fabulous. great dress too :)

Vonnie said...

Awww Nic - totally belated comment, but that looks fab! That colour really is gorgeous xx

Daisy said...

Ooh, you look VERY sophisticated!