Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Getting organised.

I struggle with this time of year; the run-up to Christmas is naturally busy, then add a family and working in retail; it's crazy.  January comes and I always think it will be quiet and I'll have time to plan and organise and tidy up....but it never is and I never do but the pace is different and that is where I struggle; I don't have as many orders I *have* to get out by 3pm so somehow I get less done then I get cross with myself and grumpy and rah!!


That is where I am at the moment. I am trying to be more organised though and that is one of my main resolutions this year. Organise me. Organise my house. Organise my photos. I actually sat down at the weekend and made a photobook with Blurb of our year.  It took me hours (try all day) because my photos are not just all over my computer, they are all over Mr's computer, the external drive, the laptop backup.....I did it though and I am going to go through all of our digital photos and make albums from the last 8 or so years..maybe one a month or so.

I actually blame Mr Microsoft for my stupid computer file organisation. On my new laptop I have a version of Windows that kindly gives me 'documents', 'photos', 'music' and 'videos' libraries.  When I was first got the computer, I religiously put them in their correct 'library' but very soon that meant I couldn't find anything...I wanted to know where one of my adverts was, was that a document or a photo? I looked for a spreadsheet, surely I had put that in 'documents'. No, it was in 'Photos', sub library ''Nicsknots'. Urgh. Yes so Mr Microsoft I am now ignoring your lovely libraries for better organisation, thank you.

I'm hoping by being more organised, I'll have more time to indulge in a bit more reading this year and have signed up for the 52 book reading project with The Sewing Directory and Natalie from The Yarn Yard.


2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Nicola has read 2 books toward a goal of 52 books.
hide

I think 52 is perhaps a bit of an optimistic challenge but I am on my third book so far so we will see.  I'll go back and review the two I have already read later but I am reading  'A Medal for Leroy' by Michael Morpurgo. It is actually a children's book but I bought it for me, thinking J might like to read it after me ;)  I listened to the author talking about the book before Christmas and the topic interested me; it is inspired by the true story of Walter Tull, the first black officer in the British army.  I'm about halfway though it at the moment and resisting the urge to read it all in one go!

The old, unorganised me finished my accounts today, all ready to submit my tax return tomorrow before Moira comes to get me.  To celebrate, I took some photos of a new fabric and decided to show you how you can use it as a crochet project bag as well as knitting.


This is a normal sock knitting bag and in it there are three balls of Rico creative cotton as well as four or five finished squares.  I have got loads of crochet projects I want to tackle this year so maybe I will use this as my crochet bag.

Have you made any resolutions this year? What are you hoping to achieve in 2013?  As my mum pointed out to me the other day, one of my sisters is moving to Italy with her husband and daughter, my other sister is getting married and my brother and wife are going to have another baby. What monumental thing am I going to do? I thought I might be the one who stays at home ... well, maybe ;)

No comments: