Tuesday, May 31, 2011

International Postcard Swap 2011

A month or so ago, while blog-hopping, I came across a fab blog about kids and books for kids. I can't rememebr what I was looking for at the time but I did find a review about a book called 'Measuring Angels', which looked great and I might have gone into school and told the Foundation teacher that she *needed* to get it as they do a topic on growing things and the book was all about that and friends and feelings and all sorts of things.

Anyway, moving on, there was also a post about an International Postcard Swap. The idea was that we would get matched with families from around the world with children a similar age to J and L, we would then send them a postcard and tell them about books we like to read and we would get postcards in return.

Maybe here would be a good time to tell you that when I was younger I had a lot of pen-pals. I kind of collected them. I've tried to get J to write to people, to improve his writing and give him a reason to write but he's not convinced. This time I thought it might be good because I thought he mind find some new, funky books from foreign countries, to keep him interested in reading and Lou just loves post so it was a winner for us. We signed up.

Last weekend we spent the morning making bookmarks for our swap partners. Obviously, as with all crafty activities in this house that I attempt to micro-manage, I was allowed no input, I wasn't allowed to suggest that if they made an amazing bookmark for one child then the sister might be a bit miffed if they got something not as good or that sticking a piece of foam onto another piece didn't really look like an ice lolly, no mind why anyone would like an ice lolly bookmark. Anyway, we all had lots of fun and now our postcards are flying to their new homes and we are eagerly awaiting our post...

No comments: