Monday, January 28, 2008

The Sun is shining again!

Woo hoo. What a difference the sun makes or rather maybe what a difference when it just stops raining for a couple of days. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind rain and I know that in the summer when it hasn't rained for weeks, I will be begging it to rain but this last fortnight or so it has done nothing but rain. I am fed up of walking to school and getting soaked. In fact I took to walking to school with my wellies on so that has helped my street-cred no end ;o)

Anyway this weekend we have actually managed to get out in the garden and the lawn is no longer flooded and we are all so much happier. L and J have been hanging off the swing like a couple of monkeys and I have been to interview the veggie patch which is looking really rather sorry for itself.

Here it is in all of its (un)glory



Doesn't everyone need a play house in the corner of their veggie patch? Its actually 15feet wide and 30ish feet long. Underneath the black box, you can see the wonderful path to nowhere that M built last year just because we had some spare bricks and he wanted to waste a summer. .

Those metal bars are supporting some wire for the bramble briars which are coming out this year. They taste horrid and the structure takes up a load of room as well as looking awful. The only problem is that M decided to plant some raspberry canes against it last year (can you see a theme; M comes along, just dumps stuff in random places....) so I need to relocate them somewhere more sensible.
This is behind the metal poles and is my rhubarb patch. You can see the buds just coming through. I've put a bucket over one plant but need to get some bigger buckets for the rest because their crowns are huge.


And I pulled these up on Sunday. I grew them in a bucket and they taste really good. Like carrots rather then orange flavourless things.

After my photo taking, I went out in the garden with my tape measure and marked out a 10ft by 10ft area which I am going to use to grow veggies in the same order as Carol Klein showed in her program last year. Mum bought me her book for Christmas and I am going to stick to her plan for growing veg in a small area.

My biggest problem with growing veggies is being organised. My garden generally has random plants all over the place; tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouses, some more tomatoes on the patio, courgettes taking over the veggie patch, a few sweetcorn plants, peas growing all over the place, potatoes in bins, some more in the ground.....get the picture? So this year; organisation! I'll take another picture of my marked out area and the weeding that I have been doing.

I'm still going to grow stuff outside the plot because I'm sure there are other things that I want to grow that aren't on that plot and some more that I will want more of than I will be able to fit in there but I think it will be a good place to start.

3 comments:

cam said...

Hello. Your secret swapper here. Some questions for you - what do you like to do when you get home after a hard day? if you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead) who would it be? if you were to take an evening class what would it be in?

BabyLongLegs said...

NIC!!!!
Blog more..I insist.....!!!

I've nominated you for a "Made my Day" award.....see my blog for details....

Big ((((hugs))))

Love
Sarah xXx

Daisy said...

Street cred?! What's that? You should see me walking to work looking like a bag lady! And I stick out like a sore thumb as it's posh hereabouts...

I'm very jealous of your veg patch, organised or not. I think I'm going to have garden deprivation syndrome this summer!