Sunday, November 29, 2009

Panic buying....

I've never really been into panic buying. When we were living in Wales, there were a few occasions when they really went in for the old panic buying for various reasons; fuel shortages, floods, etc.

I remember going into Waitrose and the shelves were devoid of bread, milk, flour, eggs and tins. It was mad. I jokingly suggested to M that we ought to get some marmite because I had heard that there would be a shortage before long. A couple of people walking past, overheard me, looked a bit worried and shoved a couple of jars of the black stuff in their already bulging trolleys before heading off to buy all of the loo roll up before we got there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosemarievictoria_artwork/1184162818/

So today, as I was cutting out some bags, I noticed that I was running low on material so I had a quick look with the idea of buying some more tonight. I looked where I normally buy; sold out, I looked somewhere else; discontinued, I looked at a place where, if I am honest, I don't like to buy from because she has ripped me off before, she said that the fabric had been discontinued and words like 'You'll be lucky if you find some' were used. Arse. This material is a good seller at the moment so I got onto Google and found about the only place that is still selling it. They had 10 yards. It also said that it has been discontinued. Did I buy all 10 yds? Did I succumb to panic buying?

4 comments:

nickynackynoo said...

How could you not? You'd have bruised shins forever more from kicking yourself if you didn't.

AMIdesigns said...

I hope you did! I've panicked more than once when I've not bought enough beads for something and found they had no more in stock.

Do you remember all the talk of a honey shortage last year - the shelves were bare as everyone thought they'd never taste honey again :)

Anonymous said...

Did you get the fabric? Hmmm . . not sure, will have to think about that! Lol! but I bet you have a cupboard full of marmite!


Yes! I can comment - wouldn't let me last week. Ack!

Daisy said...

Well, I suspect in the circumstances I'd have bought it...