Friday, May 21, 2010

The world according to Lucy...chickens.

We have been talking about getting chickens for months, maybe even years. The sticking point has always been when M has informed me that we would get rats but this time I have decided that this is not going to stop us so we have spent the week talking about chickens and their houses.

J decided that he wanted 'boy ones' . I said we weren't getting any cockerels because I don't want to be upsetting the neighbours with noisy birds first thing in the morning.

L, more worryingly, has spent the entire week telling us that she is going to kill the chickens. Anyone we talk to about getting chickens, she has told them that she is going to kill the chickens...obviously really endearing herself to people!

Tonight, while we were eating tea, we were talking (once again) about the potential chickens. I told her that chickens only lay eggs if they are happy so if she upsets them then she won't get any eggs to which she replied 'That is why I am going to kill them.' I was starting to get a bit fed up of her response to all things chicken and was beginning to wonder how I had managed to bring up such a child.

'L, why do you want to kill the chickens?' I asked.

'Well to get the eggs out of them of course, I'll just kill them, cut them open then get all of the eggs out....' she answered, all innocence.


We then had a conversation about how chickens aren't actually made of eggs and that if they did, when we had roast chicken for tea, there would be no meat because it would just be eggs, then that chickens make eggs when they are happy and kind of poo them out, a bit like we go to the loo.....hmm...now she is less set on killing the chickens but wants to know what she has to eat to be able to poo eggs....

6 comments:

BabyLongLegs said...

She's a funny one, that Lucy....

S xXx

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic. I can't wait to be having conversations like that with our bump!

Unknown said...

Conversations with the kids are great:) I'd love a couple of chickens but there are too many cats around here and we'd probably end up having a similiar conversation with Chloe:)

Julia Guthrie said...

ROFL!! It sounds like a scene from 'Outnumbered'! :)

Sugarmice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sugarmice said...

Awwh bless :) I'd love to keep chickens too - but not until we move out of the first floor flat though!


(sorry for the accidental delete above - I was trying to correct a typo!)