Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Nicsknots fishing hat...

The sunny weather this weekend caught us by surprise. I couldn't find any sun-cream above factor 20 and only one sun-hat between the kids. Of course L decided that she wanted to wear the only one, that was J's and he wanted to wear my silly Tilley Hat so it was all ok. I don't know what these hats are officially called but in our house they are 'fishing hats'. Here is Lou, protesting at having to walk with a load of boring ramblers with her Jack's hat on...

Yesterday I was going out for tea with some mums from school so about an hour before I went L decided that she wanted me to make her one and she wanted it making NOW. I looked for some patterns but when you don't know what a hat is called, it's tricky to find patterns so in their absence, I used J's as a template and lots of plates and pan lids because I couldn't find a compass to draw the circles!

I made a hat, finishing five minutes before I was due to meet up with the other mums, a five minute walk away, I put it on her head and it was too small. She dissolved into tears, quickly followed by a stroppy tantrum. I walked out of the door and drank gin for a couple of hours. The world was a lovely place once more.

This morning I set about trying to make my pattern bigger. After a bit of faffing around I managed to enlarge the template and made a bigger hat. Big enough to fit me infact so when it was time for Looby to try hat v2 on this afternoon, I was ready for more tears and tantrums but she decided that it fitted her just fine and has worn in ever since.....




2 comments:

Kitschy Coo said...

That's a very cute hat! I'd love to make some too *hint hint*

Nic said...

Lol, I'll see what I can do...not sure how this pattern drawing thing works on computers! See the fabric...you know, the stuff I got to make her dresses and promptly used to make bags...I felt guilty so I thought I should use some of it on her ;)