Monday, July 12, 2010

New things....

The first things I made when I started Nicsknots were big project bags. I still have a couple left, which I am going to take to Knit Nation and sell for a silly price and I use one as (one of my many) handbag but last year I decided that I didn't like them and stopped making them partly because I didn't like the design and partly because they were a nightmare to photograph. My plan was to design some new ones when it was quiet in February and March but it never happened.

A month or so ago I started playing around with designs. I knew what I wanted, something simple and ideal for knitting groups. I didn't want a bag with loads of pockets because, quite simply, the more pockets I add, the longer it takes me to make the bag and so the more I have to charge my customers. And, I'll admit, I'm not a pocket person. I'd rather have my needles in a needle roll, scissors, stitch markers and other bits in a notion purse and my knitting in my bag then I know where everything is and I don't spend my time searching through all of the pockets in my bag for what I am looking for.

So, simple bag number 1....

..with my crochet. The bag has long straps and is ideal for knitting or crochet projects. I have used this bag for a few weeks now and it is great. Even though it is smallish, I can fit loads in it, enough for my blanket in progress, diary, phone and wallet for knitting club.

I made the next bag on Friday night, inspired by my orange post. I have had this material for ages and wanted to make something with it and here it is now....

It is slightly shorter than the original bag but wider and I think I prefer this shape more, it is a little smarter looking and also works well as a hand bag as well as a roomy project bag. The handles are a little shorter as I made the bag to be carried in your hand rather than over your shoulder but it will still go over my shoulder, just a little snugger.

So, what do you think?

4 comments:

Claire said...

I love the Orange! Looks a good size, and the colour's so bright and cheerful.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Love the orange too :) great fabric!

GiddyStuff said...

I love them, and I agree, the more pockets I have in a bag, the more I am convinced i've misplaced things!

Daisy said...

They look great - a really good size & I love the fabrics.