Friday, October 19, 2012

Finished Object *and* Flashback Friday

I've been getting grumpy with myself recently; I don't seem to have achieved much with my knitting and I couldn't remember the last time I had done a 'FO Friday' but over the last week or so I have managed to find my knitting mojo and I want to knit all the time....I managed to make a hat for Lou in 4 days!!

The hat is The Camden Cap from WoollyWormhead. Lou saw it when I was on the website and informed me that that was the hat she wanted for the winter so we chose yarn from my stash and I cast on.  I'd never done a provisional cast-on before but I decided that since I can crochet now, I shouldn't be scared of the hook and all would be ok so after watching a few videos on Youtube, I cracked it.


As always with all of Woolly's patterns, it was simple to understand and I really enjoyed knitting this...even with the 8yr old giving me deadlines - 'You *will* have it finished when I wake up in the morning, won't you Mummy?'

It did all go a bit wrong when Lou and I were sitting in the car waiting for J to finish his violin practise; Lou had taken her reading book and I had taken the hat to knit, we were all happy until this happened;


...Yes, my lovely Knit Pro cubics needle decided to snap as I was doing the crown decreases.. dropped stitches everywhere, daughter frantic because she wanted the hat finished now. ARGH!  It was all ok though, I picked up all of the stitches and put it in the naughty corner until I could get home and finish it with some different needles.

Unfortunately, I managed to run out of yarn right near the end but luckily I had some very similar yarn in my stash so the centre of the hat is a little bit darker than the rest.  Lou is happy with it so I'm happy!


She has hardly taken it off since I finished it so I think it is a keeper. The yarn is Debbie Bliss Maya. It has been in my stash for years. I bought it when I was knitting longies for Lou when she was a baby.  While I was at Grandma's last night, I managed to find a photo of Lou in the last thing I made her in the yarn....looking at the photo, this is after M had cut her fringe!


These were some of the first things I knitted and I was so proud of the, I did a picot edge in them and Lou wore them for ages, until they were capri pants the following Spring.

For more FO's hop on over to Tami Amis blog.....

5 comments:

Rene Sharp said...

Totally gorgeous little cap, too cute for words!! Have a lovely weekend :)

Unknown said...

Love the cap but eek at the needles! What a nightmare! And awwww at the teeny longies :-)

Unknown said...

How lovely that she is so appreciative. My girls would ask for, but then never use, what I knit them. She looks smashing in it.

Rhian Drinkwater said...

Gorgeous cap! I feel the need to knit more WW patterns…

Stefanie said...

The little ones love to micromanage you when it's their project on the needles, yeah? Her hat is fantastic! You did a stellar job on it. I'm sorry about your needle. I'd be !@#$%^.