Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Funky finds!

Yesterday I went for an explore of the junk shops in Horncastle on a girls day out. Our mission; to drink tea, eat cake and poke around in junk shops. We did all three!

The first place we went to is somewhere I have wanted to go for ages. Every time I go to Horncastle for knitting on Wednesday night, I peer through the gates to this...


...table upon table of cups, saucers, plates, glasses.....


I don't understand how anyone can get to this stage. Surely the people who run it understand that the idea of having a shop is that you have to sell some stuff before you get more?

In all of this I found a couple of Japanese style plates, covered in rain water and leaves. When I got them home, and had washed them in lots of soapy water, they looked like this...

I'm thinking they will make fab cake plates for tea and cake in the summer.


A bit further inside the shop, that rambled about as much as outside, I found 4 funky cups and saucers. One of the saucers didn't match but after a bit more rummaging in another room, I found another two saucers and decided that I had to take them home too.



After lunch, in a lovely little cafe by the river, we went for some more shopping. In one of the shops, they had a room dedicated to books;


I was very restrained. I didn't buy any of the fabric. I admit, I was a little scared that we might pull some out and a whole army of mice might throw themselves at us!

3 comments:

Sally said...

Oooh I love a rummage. How do I find this place, I fancy popping by!

Unknown said...

Glad you had a lovely time here. I love that shop, and there is another two similar ones run by the same people. Let me know next time you are over and I will have a rummage with you. Are you coming back to knitty soon. We meet weekly now.

Daisy said...

I can't believe they've got all that stuff stacked up outside!